1. Water regulates basic functions: it transports oxygen and nutrients, flushes out toxins, regulates body temperature and aids digestion.
2. Water boosts the immune system and prevents diseases such as cancer, urinary tract infections, colds, headaches, high blood pressure and cholesterol.
3. Water maintains healthy kidneys, joints, cartilage and clear skin.
4. Water fuels muscles for a better performance and prevents cramps.
5. Water boosts the brain and keeps you alert and focused.
6. Water aids in weight loss and regulates appetite.
For some, the thought of increasing water intake is not very appetizing and a little difficult to accomplish, here are some tips that can definitely help you out!
- Spice it up: add fruits (such as berries), lemon wedges, cucumber or mint.
- Make sure it’s close by: if you don’t see it, you won’t drink it. Keep water on your desk or in your bag.
- Drink more tea, sparkling water or soup broth.
- Try different temperatures of water, this can help you enjoy it more.
- Sip from a straw
- Make a schedule to encourage yourself to drink more water throughout your day.
Written by Mira Tueny
Mira Tueny is a dietitian and a smoking cessation practitioner holding a Master’s degree from Imperial College London in preventive cardiology which encompasses screening and lifestyle changes that needs to be adopted to prevent cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. She is recognized as SCOPE certified (specialist certification in obesity professional education) by the World Obesity Federation. After gaining valuable experience in renowned hospitals and healthcare centers in the UK and Lebanon, she founded The HealthQuarters in 2014 with the aim of creating a holistic environment. Mira works as a consultant for gyms, hotels, juice bars and food brands (Bjorg, Regilait, Elle & Vire,… ) She is a board member of the Lebanese Association of Medical Services for Addiction, a member of the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO and a member of the European Society of Cardiology.
Follow her on:
Instagram and Facebook
13 Benefits of Tea