American Express Middle East’s tips on wedding gifts for the happy couple on their big day!
Depending on the type of relationship you have with the ones tying the knot, your budget, and often even the bride and groom’s personal style and background, it could feel like a serious challenge picking out the perfect wedding gift.
Sometimes staying away from popular gifts such as couples bath robes or silver frames is the right move, especially if you are exceptionally close with the couple tying the knot. Maybe something sentimental – a gift that’s rooted in a memory you’ve shared with them; a handmade artwork inspired by how the happy couple met, or valuable keepsakes such as a collage of candid pictures you’ve snapped of the couple that they’ll definitely appreciate.
But what if it’s a distant relative, a co-worker or a friend you’re not quite sure of their style? American Express Middle East has asked wedding guests from Bahrain, UAE, Lebanon and Kuwait about the most commons gifts they’ve gotten for newlyweds.
Offering the service
Your talent can be an excellent way to show how generous you can be. Your passion for photography can be offered as being the exclusive photographer for the wedding, or you can offer to be the DJ at the wedding if you own the right equipment of course. Offering to drive the bride and groom to the wedding when you own a fancy car is also a great contribution to their big day. Don’t forget to offer designing their wedding decor if you happen to have some creative hand skills with unique ideas for centerpieces, flower arrangements and backdrops.
An experience day
After months and months of planning and running around, the bride and groom will be in need of a good pampering. What better way to spoil them than with a luxurious 60-minute full-body massage at a high-end spa? This could also be brunch or a candle light dinner under the stars at their favorite venue be it at the beach, near a historical site, in the desert or a weekend getaway for two and much more.
This option gives you an advantage of choosing the place where you think the bride and groom would enjoy. But even if you’re not sure about that, you can opt for a gift card that offers to pay for a special honeymoon tour during their cruise trip or allows the couple to buy tickets to attend a world class concert of their favorite music artists. Furthermore, gift cards are also a great option that offers the couple an enjoyable shopping spree at their favorite stores anytime they desire!
With a budget on one hand and time on the other, taking your pick of the couple’s registry is rather a straight forward task. But what if you really want to make an impression? Go for something that can be engraved and add your personal touch by customizing it with lettering of the newlyweds’ names or date of the wedding.
Starting a home together is an exciting new phase for the couple which often feels like a whirlwind of activity. Stepping into that space feels like you got yourself into a daunting task. But here’s the secret, think: What do you really need in a house? A few staple items you can never go wrong with are plush towels, luxury dinnerware sets, a deluxe coffee machine, throws and blankets, and of course – His, Hers & Ours sets.
- 18 – 24-year-olds have attended the most weddings in 2017; about 5% of them attended more than 10 weddings last year alone!
- More males than females have been to weddings last year -t 62% and 53% respectively.
- 60% would attend a destination wedding for a family member. Chances are higher if the destination could double as a holiday for the guests.
- 66% have used offers, hotel deals and sales when spending on attending a wedding.
- Wedding guests in the region have spent the most on gifts for the happy couple (92%) followed by pre-wedding celebrations such as bridal showers and engagement parties (79%), travel expenses (78%) and hotel stays (61%)
- 34% use their credit card to pay for wedding gifts and other costs to attend a wedding! Nearly half pull out money directly from that month’s salary.
- If you are an American Express Cardmember, remember that your premium lifestyle and travel experts have your back 24/7 day in and day out to curate your daily and once in a lifetime experiences.
The American Express Middle East Weddings Survey was conducted online by YouGov among a random sample of 1,655 adults. The respondents represent the general population of Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, and Lebanon covering both men and women above 18 years of age, across all social groups living in the region.