Don’t you love luscious, long locks? How many times have you cursed your genetics for not blessing you with a fabulous mane? You’re not alone. Well, you see celebrities and their fabulous hair, we seriously doubt that glorious mop of hair is all theirs. In fact, most of Hollywood’s leading ladies get some help in the hair department, so rather than sit back and wait for your hair to grow, choose whether to tape it, sew it or clip it. Here are the pros and cons of each method…
Tape in extensions:
The cost for tape in extensions can vary depending on the brand, type of hair, stylist’s application fee and the number of boxes or panels of hair.
- The safest method of hair extensions available as the weight of the panels is spread over a larger area causing no damage to the client’s hair.
- The fastest method of application.
- Reusable and the hair can be worn for up to 6-8 weeks per application.
- Most natural looking hair extension method available.
- Most comfortable method of hair extensions.
- No heat or tools required for an application.
- You can’t wash your hair or excessively sweat for 24-48 hours after application as the bond needs time to cure and adhere properly to the hair.
- The use of any silicone or oil-based products directly on the adhesive may cause the panels to slip.
- Some companies tape can be very tacky and messy during reapplication.
Sew in extensions:
The cost for sew in extensions depends on the cost of the hair and stylist’s application fee.
- Oil or silicone-based products may be used at the scalp as slipping will not occur unless the braids become loose.
- Most suitable for thick, coarse hair.
- No heat or glue is required for an application.
- Tight braids can cause hair loss from tension or traction.
- The application can take several hours.
- If the hair extensions are not washed regularly, bacteria can build up and cause infection.
- Extensions may be uncomfortable and cause headaches after an application.
- Limited hair styling options.
Clip in extensions
The cost for clip in extensions depends on the type of hair, the brand the length and the weight of the hair.
- Greater versatility by having the option to apply and remove the hair on a daily basis.
- Non-commitment means you have the ability to change your hair color or style often.
- Hair can be taken in and out by yourself.
- Clip in hair extensions cannot be worn by hair wearers for long periods of time and must be removed before bedtime.
- Clips clipped in the same place repetitively for extended periods of time can lead to hair loss.
- Not ideal for thin, fine hair as clips and base could be too bulky or heavy for the hair wearer.
- Unless used with proper care and maintenance, hair only lasts for a few months.