Getting a manicure is one of those #treatyourself moments that truly have the power to turn that frown upside down. If you’re skipping the gel (or any of those long-lasting alternatives), the longevity of your manicure sometimes hangs on a balance. Will it last for two day? A week? Longer? Here are some tips to make it last as long as possible!
1. Do not soak your nails in water before painting them!
If you want to soften cuticles, then go for a cuticle oil and skip the soaking.
2. Avoid getting nail polish on your cuticles.
This can be a bit tricky if you’re not used to doing your own nails, but practice makes perfect. It also helps to have pushed the cuticles back before getting started with the polish.
3. Don’t shake your nail polish bottle, instead, roll it.
This helps decrease the amount of air bubbles in the polish which may ultimately lead to chipped nails.
4. Apply polish on the edge of your nails.
(think French manicure tip, but not on the top of the nail), this helps “seal” in the polish.
5. Skip the hand sanitizer, and go for a mild soap.
The alcohol in hand sanitizers usually dries out the nails and may ruin your top coat.
6. Wear gloves while doing the dishes.
This limits your nails’ exposure to water and protects your manicure.